Frequent Questions

I applied a topical flea and tick pesticide to my pet, and it had a bad reaction. What should I do? How should I report the incident?

If your pet suffers an adverse reaction to any pet insecticide, start by bathing your pet in water with a mild soap and contact your veterinarian to find out if any other measures are needed.   Then, you can use the "Ask a question" option (see tab at the top of this page) to contact us. Instead of entering a question, please provide as much of the following information about your pet's adverse reaction as possible:

1. Name(s) and EPA registration number(s) of product(s) applied,

2.  Active ingredient of the product (if known; can be found on the product label),

3. Breed(s) and age(s) of animal(s) and any other factors needed to understand any previous medical condition(s) of animal(s),

4. Who applied the product(s)-owner or veterinarian,

5. Length of time between application and reaction,

6. Description of adverse reaction,

7. Date(s) on which adverse reaction occurred,

8. Contact information and telephone number, and

9. City and State where the incident occurred.

EPA's Pesticide Program is responsible for regulating pesticide products in the United States and ensuring that they can perform their intended functions without posing unreasonable risks to humans, animals, or the environment. All incident information will be forwarded to our database manager for inclusion in the EPA Pesticide Incident Data System, which contains information from reported pesticide poisonings. EPA routinely examines information from this database to determine what concerns are being raised about registered products and whether further regulatory action is needed.

Pet owners should also remember to report adverse effects to the product registrant, which is required by law to report it to EPA. Contact information can be found on the product label. Clearly identify the name of the product used, the EPA Registration Number, the type and breed of animal affected, symptoms observed in the pet, and any other details pertaining to the incident.

In addition, veterinarians have access to a reporting mechanism called the Veterinary Pesticide Adverse Effects Reporting portal at to report incidents. This portal is not for use by the public.

You may also contact the National Pesticide Information Center at 800-858-7378 to report an incident.


Have more questions? Submit a request