Frequent Questions

My pet suffered a bad reaction from a spot-on product, and I called the manufacturer and was told that the problem was not caused by the product. What should I do?

If your pet has an adverse reaction to a product, you should always notify the manufacturer, who is required under section 6(a)(2) of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) to report the incident to EPA, whether or not the manufacturer feels that the reaction was caused by its product. EPA plans to pursue collecting more standardized and detailed information on adverse incident reports from registrants, so it is important that the registrants/manufacturers be notified about all incidents.

Veterinarians can report pesticide-related incidents involving domestic pets through a reporting page developed by the National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC) and EPA. Your vet's report will help improve the quality of all animal incident data received by the EPA. Veterinarians should submit reports using the quick and easy Veterinary Pesticide Adverse Effects Reporting portal at This veterinary portal is only for veterinary reporting and is not for use by the general public.

The general public can report incidents to NPIC at 1-800-858-7378.

EPA also welcomes reports directly from pet owners. You can use the "Ask a question" option on the Pesticides Web site to contact us, searching for "flea and tick" in the drop-down menu and looking for Question 5482. Please be sure to include all of the information requested.

Have more questions? Submit a request