While the EPA cannot personally advise you how to prevent or minimize the risk of getting bed bugs, there are many methods to effectively prevent and manage infestations of bed bugs. For example:
- When traveling, use luggage racks to hold your luggage and do not place your luggage on the bed or floor.
- Upon returning, unpack directly into a washing machine using hot water and inspect your luggage carefully.
- To manage infestations, learn about the signs of bed bugs and carefully inspect mattresses and other fabrics for the presence of bed bugs.
- Check secondhand furniture for any signs of bed bug infestation before bringing it into the home.
- Reduce clutter in your home to reduce hiding places for bed bugs.